Anime Classic Reviews

Monday 23 July 2007

Call Me Tonight - 1986

Call Me Tonight was made in 1986 and was the first in a series of fanservice OVA's from Pink Noise in the mid 80s. While most shows that use fan service as it's core are often shallow and repetive, Call Me Tonight breaks the mould and makes it's an integral part of it's heart warming and comical story. Infact i loved the story and characters so much that i've watched this anime quite a number of times now. Although it only has a short running time of only 30 minutes, i actually felt it was the perfect length and achieved everything it set out to do.

Visually this is a very beautiful anime and defintly one of my favourites to look at. The character designs and colour pallete seem to be almost a combination of Megazone 23 (Part I) and Dirty Pair TV. The soundtrack is mainly upbeat 80's style jazzy J-Pop with the standout theme being the song 'Please Call Me Tonight' which plays at both the very start and end of the OVA.

Sadly like so many other great OVA's of it's time this title has not been reissued for release on dvd in Japan. I do expect this anime to get released eventually though as most of the AIC catalogue is gradually finding it's way out on to dvd slowly but surely.

Overall i'd say that this is very much a personal favourite of mine. It's one of the few shows daring enough to blend an unique variety of genres including romance, comedy, science fiction and horror. Also with the bonus of it being a one shot OVA, it makes great replay value with very little time commitment needed. Infact I recommend all the Pink Noise OVA's especially Body Jack (OVA 4) which comes in a close second place to Call Me Tonight.

Here is a list of the whole Pink Noise series:

Pink Noise OVA 1: Download - Call Me Tonight (1986)
Pink Noise OVA 2: Download - Campus Special Investigator Hikaruon (1987)
Pink Noise OVA 3: Evil Dragon War Chronicles 1 (1987)
Pink Noise OVA 4: Body Jack (1987)

Overall Grade/Rating
: A

Commercial Availability:
VHS (Japan), Laserdisc (Japan)

















    13 comments:

    danth78 said...

    Hey Area88! Nice looking blog!

    I'm not clear from your post, was the DVD for Dream Hunter Rem remastered or not?

    Area88 said...

    Hey danth! Thanks it's coming along nicely I feel. Dream Hunter Rem was sadly not remastered on DVD.

    Jon said...

    Keep it up! One of the only blogs WORTH reading! Classic anime rules. I'll also download the torrents and keep uTorrent open for seeding. I already have "Call me Tonight" downloaded and I am leaving it open to seed.

    Hope this is a successful blog that many will read.

    danth78 said...

    I'm seeding Investigator Hikaruon! Thanks, Area88!

    Tiny9ie said...

    Area88 I think you're VisualSky too?? You have a great anime collection! I admit I stalk some of your posts to find new anime to hunt (and pull my hair out over when I can't find...).
    Anyway here is a link to a small file of Body Jack- unsubbed.
    Pink Noise 4: BODY JACK
    (This should work, if not, pop me a msg..)

    maybe someone can share Maryu Senki: Evil Dragon War Chronicles (or anything else on want list) with me =!_!=

    Chris Sobieniak said...

    Having just gotten around to watching the first two episodes, it's rather pretty interesting to see the direction they go with how they worked those. "Call Me Tonight" of course is a love story wrapped into a sinister twist with the kid whom is possessed by an alien demon of sorts, and "Campus Investigator Hikaruon" is a nice little homage to tokusatsu genre, namely from what I've read elsewhere, a type of one Toei was doing at the time known as the "Metal Hero" (right down to an eyecatch in the middle). Nice someone linked to "Body Jack" in case I get around to watching it.

    Anonymous said...

    Is there any chance of somebody reseeding Call me Tonight?

    I really love all these classic animes. My favorite art style, my favorite music, my favorite era. I'm so glad I found this. I can see Investigaor Hikaruon but I can't connect to any Call me Tonight seeds.

    You can however, find the spanish sub on Veoh oddly enough.

    Anonymous said...

    Hey Area88 good job on this blog!

    I found this blog while trying to find Maryuu Senki. I read that you got your hands on ovas 1,2 and will post them soon. Looking forward to that! Also found english sub for Please Call Me Tonight on Crunchyroll.com

    Anonymous said...

    Hey area88!
    Any chance on posting Puttsun Make LOVE (ぷッつんメイクLOVE)on your blog. I would love to see vol. 4 its suppose to be a horror comedy like Please Call Me Tonight.

    Anonymous said...

    Hey everyone!! I found all of the Maryuu Senki (魔龍戦記)on nicovideo!
    Just go to this link to get you started http://moemania.org/uncategorized/how-to-register-a-user-on-nicovideojp/

    When you sign up just type the Japanese title in the search box:)

    Anonymous said...

    Wow!The hipper than thou anime.I love 80's anime.Way better than the stuff you see these days.

    Unknown said...

    Really enjoyed the first installment, nice art style and great music, your uploads are great look forward to going through them.

    Ty said...

    As an alternative if the MegaUpload expires, it appears there is a tracker for this anime listed at http://bt.edwardk.info/groups/animeclassicreviews/

     
    Cheap Web Hosting